Operation is Over. Thirty-nine rescued as GHQ siege comes to end. Another Terrorist Attack Awaited ?


Thirty-nine rescued as GHQ siege comes to end

RAWALPINDI: Commandos stormed Pakistan army’s headquarters on Sunday ending a day-long hostage drama and freeing 39 people held by militants who brazenly struck at the heart of the military establishment.

Three hostages, two soldiers and four suspected Taliban militants were killed in a rescue operation hailed by the military as ‘highly successful’, despite a total of 19 people dead since the start of the assault.


Six soldiers and four other militants had already been killed in the nearly 24-hour siege, which began Saturday in the garrison city of Rawalpindi and was the third dramatic militant strike in the country in a week.

The audacious attack exposed Pakistan’s vulnerability in the face of a Taliban militia who have regrouped after the death of their leader and are determined to thwart an army assault on their tribal hideouts, analysts said.

Military spokesman Major General Athar Abbas said troops went in at about 6:00 am and met resistance from five militants armed with suicide vests and barricaded in the building in the city, which adjoins Islamabad.

‘Thirty-nine hostages were rescued and three were killed,’ Abbas told AFP, adding that the captives were shot dead by the militants.

‘The militants had suicide jackets, improvised explosive devices, grenades…. They wanted to blow up all the hostages and cause maximum damage.’

He said that two soldiers and four of the insurgents were killed in the rescue operation.

e1d72a60e87a17a1ef01421bd0de3dd8The leader of the militant team escaped and detonated a number of explosives, before being injured and arrested.

‘The operation is over. It was highly successful,’ Abbas added.

He said that intelligence officials were investigating possible links between the sole surviving militant – named as Aqeel, also known as Doctor Usman – and the March attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Lahore.

The Rawalpindi attack bore similarities to the March gun-and-grenade attack, which left six policemen and two civilians dead. Abbas said the militant held Sunday had the same name and alias as one of the Lahore attack suspects.

The drama began just before midday on Saturday, when nine gunmen in military uniform and armed with automatic weapons and grenades drove up to the Rawalpindi compound and shot their way through a checkpoint.

Four militants and six soldiers were killed near a second post but the rest of the rebels fled and took the 42 military employees hostage.

There has been no claim of responsibility, but military and government officials blamed Taliban-linked militants.

b020022f7854c844001d475e787a468b f2917bf09a16dc0734052bd57fc2537c

Defence analyst Hasan Askari said the militant strikes showed the army had not broken the back of the Taliban, as they claim.

‘This shows weaknesses in the security arrangements of the state agencies and the determination and commitment of the extremist Taliban,’ he told AFP.

Courtsey :~ Dawn,  AFP  &  APP.

Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: