Police rushed to the site after the blast and shifted the bodies and injured to a nearby hospital. — Photo by AFP
Three killed in blast in Jaffarabad
Thursday, 28 Jan, 2010||Safar 12, 1431
QUETTA: Three people were killed and eight were injured in an explosion in Balochistan province’s Jaffarabad district on Thursday.
District Police Officer Jaffarabad, Syed Farid Ali, told DawnNews that the blast took place as an explosive device went off in a small restaurant in Sohbatpur town.
Police rushed to the site after the blast and shifted the bodies and injured to a nearby hospital.
The blast site was cordoned off and an investigation was underway.
Thursday’s blast comes two days after another blast in the district’s Dera Allah Yar town. — DawnNews
Policemen carrying batons take part in a demonstration here on Wednesday.—Online
Policemen in Quetta on duty without weapons
By Saleem Shahid ||Thursday, 28 Jan, 2010||Safar 12, 1431
QUETTA: Thousands of Balochistan police personnel performed their duties without weapons on Wednesday after they were not issued arms from their headquarters for the second day running.
The provincial government had sealed the armouries of the Balochistan Constabulary, Anti-Terrorism Force and Police Training College after Monday’s violent protest by policemen demanding a raise.
Frontier Corps personnel called in by the provincial government after police’s strike were guarding the sealed police koths.
Personnel of Balochistan Constabulary and ATF were seen with batons issued to them in place of AK-47 rifles used by police in the province.
“Weapons will not be issued to the personnel of the BC, ATF and PTC until legal action is completed against policemen involved in violent protest,” a government official told Dawn.
He said that 3,000 to 3,500 personnel belonging to the three institutions had been affected by the decision. “They are performing their duties with batons.”
According to sources, there is no restriction on officers above the rank of assistant sub inspector carrying weapons.
Chief Minister Nawab Aslam Raisani has asked acting provincial police chief Mohammad Akbar Arain to take strict action against police officials involved in violence, the sources said.
Footage from cameras installed at the gates and inside the CM’s secretariat and Governor’s House is being used for identifying personnel involved in firing and damaging property.
More cameras have been installed along the road near the Governor’s House and Chief Minister’s House.
Home Secretary Akbar Hussain Durrani said: “Investigation is under way and strict action will be taken against violent protesters.”
He said the situation was under control and no report of police protest had been received from any part of the province except Loralai, where a group of personnel had taken out a procession.
He said the violence appeared pre-planed because police recruits inducted just two weeks ago had been brought to the city from the training college.
He said a DSP and other police officials who had brought the recruits from the PTC had been arrested.
Frontier Corps personnel continued guarding important places in the provincial capital, including the governor’s and chief minister’s houses, the provincial assembly and main bazaars.
All vehicles moving on the Zarghoon Road and their occupants were checked. The Civil Secretariat and houses of the governor, the chief minister, several ministers and the chief secretary are located along the road.
The home secretary said the FC would remain in Quetta until required for maintaining peace and order. — DawnNews
Pakistan is always afraid of Balooch agitation for autonomy of the Province and consequently do not want to empower the Balooch Police Force as to avoid any suspected armed Police Revolt within the Police there on demand of Autonomous Baloochistan.
14 persons killed in FATA
|12 Taliban militants were killed and three others injured in clashes between Salarzai laskhar (pro government Tribal militia) and militants in Chinnar village of Bajaur Agency in Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) on January 27, according to Daily Times. The volunteers from the Salarzai lashkar, backed by Security Forces (SFs) were on their way to Mula Said and Chinnar areas when a group of armed militants attacked them. The SFs and members of the lashkar repulsed the attack killing 12 militants and injuring three. One trooper was killed in the attack.
Further, Taliban militants killed a pro-government lashkar leader in Bajaur Agency. The body of Malik Manaris Khan, 47, was found in Salarzai town. He was abducted on January 25 along with two other tribesmen, Malik Ali Baz and Malik Muhammad Rehman. The former is still held captive by the militants while the latter has been released.
Separately, a tribal elder, Malik Saleh Khan, had a narrow escape when a roadside bomb went off in Nawagai tehsil (revenue unit).
Meanwhile, the political administration has warned tribal chieftains of a military operation if they do not take action against terrorists who have fled Mehsud areas of South Waziristan and have taken refuge in North Waziristan.
Further, after several days of silence, rumours were once again circulating that chief of the banned militant group Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), Hakeemullah Mehsud had died of fatal injuries that he had sustained in a drone attack in Shaktoi village of South Waziristan on January 14. However, sources close to Hakeemullah Mehsud denied such reports and claimed he was in good health.
Courtesy : Dawn News, Reuters, AFP, South Asian Terrorism Portal & Others.