Posts Tagged ‘mingora’

A major break-through in combating militants in Pak

February 20, 2010

30 terrorists killed in SWA: ISPR

Saturday, February 20, 2010, Rabi-ul-Awwal 05, 1431 A.H||Updated at: 1045 PST

RAWALPINDI: At least 30 terrorists have been killed in Shawwal mountains of South Waziristan Agency (SWA), Geo News quoted Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) sources as saying Saturday.

The ISPR sources said the sting aerial action was launched on a tip-off that terrorists are holed up in the mountains of Shawwal. The hideouts of the terrorists were effectively pounded in the operation.

Pakistani security forces launched a major offensive in South Waziristan in October last year and the military says it has captured most of the militant bases in the region.

“The hideout in Shawal was targeted after we were tipped off that terrorists were hiding in the mountains,” a military spokesman said.

Read another ….Air strike kills 30 militants in South Waziristan

8 militants killed in Swat, Khyber Agency skirmishes

Saturday, February 20, 2010, Rabi-ul-Awwal 05, 1431 A.H || updated at 1030 PST

PESHAWAR: Eight militants were killed during clashes between security forces and militants in Swat and Kyber Agency.

Sources said security forces launched search operation in Mingora and adjoining areas on Saturday morning. Four militants were killed during exchange of fire between forces and militants in Ogday area.

Meanwhile, militants attacked FC check post in Ferozkhel area in tehsil Bara of Khyber Agency early today. Four militants killed in retaliatory fire whereas others managed to flee. Curfew remained imposed in the area.

It is the harder time for Pakistan to fight against its own Terrorists than India.

May 24, 2009

Pakistan army ‘in Taliban city’

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/8065062.stm

           
 
Page last updated at 13:48 GMT, Saturday, 23 May 2009 14:48 UK
Pakistan army ‘in Taliban city’
 _45813270_mingora_ap203bodyHundreds of thousands of civilians have fled the fighting in the north-east

Fierce fighting is taking place between Pakistani troops and Taliban militants in Mingora, the main city in the militant-controlled Swat Valley.

At least 17 militants have been killed in the clashes, the army says. The Taliban deny the deaths.

The push into Mingora is seen as a key phase of an offensive aimed at crushing the militants, whose influence extends across a wide area of the north-west.

The fighting began after a peace deal broke down earlier this month.

See a map of the region

“Street fights have begun,” Maj Gen Athar Abbas told reporters.

“It is a difficult operation because we have to make a house-to-house search. We have cleared some of the area in the city.”

The military says the city is surrounded, most of the militants’ ammunition dumps are destroyed and their supply routes cut off.

The BBC’s Shoaib Hassan, in Islamabad, says it is the most important battle yet in the army’s offensive against the Taliban in Swat.

A swift victory would bolster public support for a greater fight against the militants, our correspondent adds.

Exodus

A Taliban spokesman confirmed that the military had entered Mingora, but denied that any militants had been killed.

 _45813805_007369373-2The army says it has cut off the militants’ supply routes

The spokesman also said the Taliban would fight the security forces to their last breath.

Residents say the militants are still in control of the city.

Nearly 1.5 million people have been displaced by this month’s fighting in the north-western region, and about two million since last August, the United Nations refugee agency says.

On Friday, the UN appealed for $543m in humanitarian aid to help those displaced by the conflict.

Pakistan’s army began an offensive against the Taliban on 2 May after the peace deal broke down and the militants began expanding their area of influence.

A recent investigation by the BBC suggested that less than half of Pakistan’s North West Frontier Province (NWFP), which contains Swat Valley, and the neighbouring Federally Administered Tribal Areas is under full government control.

In Swat, the army says that about 15,000 members of the security forces are fighting between 4,000 and 5,000 militants.

It says more than 1,000 militants and more than 50 soldiers have been killed since the offensive began.

 _45745424_pak_taleban_movements4_466

 
PAKISTAN IN TURMOIL

MILITANCY

Conflict map

BBC mapshows Taliban extending control in north-west
Tide turns against Taliban

Journey to ‘war zone’

Sea of humanity

Struggling for survival in Swat

Hotspot confusion

Plight of Pakistan’s displaced

Shaky Sharia deal

Hunt for culprits of cricket attack

ANALYSIS AND BACKGROUND

Q&A: Pakistan’s Swat offensive

Q&A: Pakistan’s political instability

Clouded details of Pakistan deal

Mapping the militant nexus

Q&A: Kashmir dispute

Courtesy: BBC World News

 

                                     

Troops, militants locked in intense Mingora gunbattle. Fresh Battle with Terrorism in Pakistan.

May 5, 2009

 Pakistan bajaur__reut316 mingorarally_150_1501

MINGORA: An intense gunbattle was ongoing between security forces and militants in Swat’s Mingora city, DawnNews reported.

Tuesday, 05 May, 2009 | 01:24 PM PST |www.dawn.com

Frightened residents fled suburban areas in Mingora on Tuesday, where the Taliban concentrated a two-year insurgency, after the army issued an evacuation order that ignited fears of an imminent new offensive, witnesses said.

The military ordered four neighbourhoods on the edge of Mingora to evacuate and announced a break in an indefinite curfew for the displaced to flee to a special camp as bullets rattled through parts of Mingora.

Local residents said ‘large numbers’ were leaving in panic, weighed down with whatever belongings they could carry on foot, waiting at bus stations or driving away in private cars, although the military withdrew the order.

‘We have now suspended this order and people are directed not to vacate their homes because the government has no immediate plan to launch an operation in these areas,’ said local military spokesman Major Nasir Khan.

A government official said five people died overnight in crossfire between militants and security forces in Swat.

Earlier on Tuesday the District Coordination Officer (DCO) of Swat asked Mingora residents to vacate the city as Taliban told the 46 besieged security men in the city to lay down their arms.

Curfew in Swat was relaxed from 01:30 p.m. till 07:00 p.m., the DCO said on Tuesday, adding that residents of Mingora city should immediately start leaving.

On Monday, the Taliban took control of the city of Mingora and reportedly laid siege to a place housing 46 security personnel.

‘This is a clear violation of the Swat peace agreement,’ an official who requested anonymity said. He said militants were patrolling the streets and holding positions at key points and on important buildings.
 
According to sources, militants on Monday attacked the headquarters of security forces located in the circuit house and a police station in Mingora, but attacks were repulsed.

Subsequently on Monday, the local administration imposed a curfew for an indefinite period after the attacks. Earlier, the curfew was in force from 07:00 p.m. to 06:00 a.m. Clashes between security forces and militants were reported from Shamozai, Matta and Bahrain.

However, no casualty was reported till late night. Police have confined their activities to police stations.

A group of armed Taliban stormed the Rahimabad police station in Mingora on Monday night and blew it up. Local people said policemen had vacated the station just before the attack.

Security forces have also established check posts and started searching vehicles in the area. Shops and markets in the main Mingora bazaar remained closed for the second day because of fear and tension.

According to a handout issued by the NWFP information department, the Taliban continued their activities despite the peace accord they had signed with the government.

Over the past 16 days, five people were killed and 21 kidnapped by the militants. Three incidents of blasts and several cases of car-snatching, looting and firing, erecting road blockades and armed patrolling by militants had been reported from different parts of the district, the handout said.

Militants blew up a government high school for boys in Tindodag area of Swat on Monday. It was the second government school blown up after the February 16 peace accord. On Sunday, a government high school for boys had been blown up in Nengolai.

Meanwhile, Taliban spokesman Muslim Khan claimed responsibility for the attack on a convoy in Swat on Monday in which one soldier was killed and three others suffered injuries.

He said the attack was a reaction to what he called movement of military forces to positions in violation of the February 16 peace deal. He said the Taliban would carry out such attacks if security forces continued their activities in the valley.